Happy Monday, y’all! I hope you really enjoy today’s read, our first-ever I Dream of Pretty Things beauty post featuring advice from my ever-talented aunt, Myra Touchstone! Myra is a truly gifted makeup artist. She’s creative, loves using color, knows all of the latest trends, and makes every look easy to achieve! I’m always in awe when her pictures come across my Facebook feed and I thought it was high time I find out some of her secrets and tips. 🙂 Join us now as Myra shares some of her best beauty tips and favorite looks for eyes for spring.
Born and raised in the Philippines, Myra grew up surrounded by a family who embraced the arts. Her family was known for producing tailor-made clothing and her uncles were very talented in painting, drawing and furniture design. The exposure to beauty and art in many different forms inspired Myra as a child and, growing up, she knew that she wanted to do something that would involve her artistic ability and color. She dabbled in painting and drawing, like her uncles, and sewing, like her aunts and grandparents, but didn’t find her true calling until her teenage years when her mom introduced her to applying and selling cosmetics. Myra finds the colorful world of makeup to be one full of limitless possibility and imagination. Myra left the Philippines for America and continued to explore different brands of makeup and familiarized herself with quality products from affordable to high-end brands. From experience, Myra’s found that price doesn’t necessarily equate quality. (Check out her Top Five High/Low Products here). Today, Myra is a freelance make-up artist who has a diverse client list going to a variety of events including proms, pictorials, special events, and weddings. You’ll also find Myra’s work featured on Makeup Geeks October and November Round-up Looks website.
I Dream of Pretty Things
Myra’s Best Makeup Tips and Tricks
1. Concealing under eyes:
Color wheel tips: Green/Yellow will neutralize the redness; Salmon/ Orange for dark under eye bags; Blemishes, use a shade or two darker than your skin tone, seal with translucent powder, and the blemish will disappear! Make Up For Ever has a nice selection of concealer from light to dark shades.
For very sparse eyebrows, I use a combination of brow pencil, Smartbrow filler, and a darker shade brow pen. Line your brows with the brow pencil, shaping them how you want it to look. Fill them in with the Smartbrow filler, filling the gaps first then using the spool, brush your brows lightly upwards and out. For a more natural brow look, using Stila’s dark shade brow pen, with a light hand stroke, I replicate the growth of my hair. Another trick for filling and you don’t have a handy ‘brow guide’, is to put dots along under your eyebrows where and how you want it to look, connect the dots and fill.
3. Cat eye: Using tape, stick it on the back of your hand once or twice so it doesn’t hurt when you take it off. Place it where you want the line to be. Using your favorite liner, line your lid sweeping it up a bit on the side, then fill. Remove the tape and you’ll have a nice even cat eye.
4. Show of your cheekbones:
Matte bronzers are great to use to sculpt under your cheekbones. Sweep this bronzer lightly up and down underneath you cheekbones, then add on your favorite blush.
5. Make-up while traveling:
For a quick easy fix, tinted beauty balm (BB) creams are great to have in your purse for this can serve as a light coverage. Just put on your BB cream, (I use Smashbox), then set it with a translucent powder, add on a blush and lipstick and you’re set.
6. Oh My Lashes!
Who doesn’t want nice full lashes? Ardell individual lashes are perfect to fill in those gaps or make your lashes look full and alive. The application is a little time consuming but they will look natural.
7. Lid tape to the rescue! :
Yep! I’ve had those days where one of my lid becomes shy and decides to hide. Lid tape is an old fashion trick to give you double lid. Using the handy dandy plastic applicator, place the lid tape where your crease meets, very lightly push the ends back, the tape will secure your top and bottom creating a double lid.
Myra’s Favorite Spring Looks for Eyes
Here are two of my favorite looks for spring. The main eye shadows I used are from the Makeup Geek collection. I love their eye shadows because they are easy to blend, pigmented and hardly any fall out. It’s also priced really well (less than half the price of expensive brands) and the quality is the same.
Purple & Pink
This look is perfect for a nice romantic date or just for a fun look.
Products for Myra’s Full Look: Smashbox photo finish primer, MAC pro-long wear foundation, MAC pro long wear concealer, MAC eye shadow base in soft ochre, Make-up forever concealer, Make-up Geek eye shadows in Duchess, Vanilla Bean, Shimma-Shimma and Marlena, Lancome pressed eye shadow in Endless Purple and Always Fushia, MAC Blush in Fleur Power, Tarte bronzer, Cover FX setting powder, Lancome lipstick in, Bare Minerals lip gloss, Urban Too Faced Luquif-Eye, Urban Decay setting spray, Ardell individual lashes, Smartbrow filler, Maybelline brow liner and Stila liquid brow liner.
Eye shadow Steps:
1. Apply eye shadow base to you lid all the way up to your brow bone and apply a matte skin tone shade. (Makeup Geek in Vanilla Bean)
2. Using a matte pink color (Makeup Geek in Marlena) brush this to sides of your crease blending inwards.
3. With a light matte purple (Makeup Geek in Duchess), layer this on top of the outer crease blending inwards.
4. For more depth, add on the darker shade purple (Lancome in Endless Purple) just to the crease and blend.
5. Apply the shimmery pink shade (Lancome in Always Fuschia) to the middle lid.
6. With the lighter shade purple brush or sweep this under your eye.
7. Using an eye shadow transformer like Liquif-Eye by Too faced, mixed this with the darker shade purple to use as an eyeliner.
8. Apply a shimmery light eye shadow or highlighter (used Makeup Geeks Shimma-Shimma) to your tear duct to brighten up your eyes.
9. Curl your lashes, add falsies and apply mascara.
This look is stunning on brown eyes!
Products for Myra’s Full Look: Smashbox photo finish primer, Lancome 24H Teint Idiole Ultra foundation, Lancome Effarnes waterproof concealer, Make-up forever concealer, MAC eye shadow base in soft ochre, Make-up Geek eye shadow in Envy, Shimma-Shimma, Vanilla Bean, Chickadee and Cocoa Bear, MAC Blush in Fleur Poer, Ulya Minerals bronzer, Stila waterproof brown eyeliner, Sephora eyeliners, Cover FX setting powder, Urban Decay make up setting spray.
Eye shadow Steps:
1. Apply your shadow base to the lid and a light shade shadow to highlight your brow bone (Makeup Geek in Vanilla Bean)
2. Apply a light brown shade (Makeup Geek in Cocoa Bear) to your crease blending it well, this will serve as a base color.
3. Apply a light shimmery shade to the lid (Makeup Geek in Shimma- Shimma).
4. Forest green color for some depth to the outer third of the crease (Makeup Geek in Envy).
5. Blend a yellow/ orange color (Makeup Geek in Chickadee) above the light brown color for a nice transition color.
6. With an eye shadow transformer, blend this with the green color eye shadow (Makeup Geek in Envy) and use to line your eyes. Fill in your lash gaps with Stila liquid liner. Use Sephora green eyeliner light then dark for the bottom lashes.
7. Apply your falsies and mascara.
Using the same techniques, but changing the color of your eyeliner, you can achieve many different fun looks for spring or summer!