I love salad as much as the next person, but it never seems like the ones I make at home are as tasty as the ones I can find at Whole Foods, Central Market or a restaurant. That is, until now! Brent’s mom, Teri, introduced me to one of her favorite salads: spring mix, kale mix, sliced apple, dried cranberries, and feta. Boom. I loved it and we’ve eaten it regularly over the past few weeks.
The other day, my family came over for dinner. We had a bunch of orzo pasta left over and some other fresh ingredients from a recent grocery store visit. Inspired by Teri, I built my own salad based off her core ingredients. And so, the “Costco Salad” was born. Why Costco? You can get everything you need for this recipe from Costco. If you aren’t a member, don’t worry. You can find everything at most other places, I just like knowing I can get all of these ingredients in bulk from Costco because they make it easier to meal plan for the week.
I hope you enjoy this salad as much as we have. It’s easy, quick, refreshing, and you can easily change out ingredients depending on what you have in your pantry.
I Dream of Pretty Things
Costco Salad, Serves 2
- 6 oz. Rotisserie or grilled chicken, cut into thin slices
- 4 or 5 cups Spring Mix salad
- 2 cups kale salad mix (I like the Sweet Kale Vegetable Salad Mix by Eat Smart from Costco. It contains lots of greens including broccoli, brussels sprouts, green cabbage, kale, and chicory.)
- 1/4 cup of dried cranberries and pumpkin seeds (the Sweet Kale Vegetable Salad Kit contains the cranberries and pumpkin seeds. Another alternative is the Seapoint Energy Blend from Costco.)
- 1/2 cup feta cheese (I like the President brand.)
- 1/2 cup orzo pasta
- 6 strawberries, sliced small (you can also use apples)
- 4 TBS poppyseed salad dressing or dressing of your choice (Eat Smart salad kit contains the dressing)